Winbook tablet (Tw100): Requesting 64 bit UEFI bios

Questions on the new Winbook Tablets? Post them here!

Re: Winbook tablet (Tw100): Requesting 64 bit UEFI bios

Postby Ulincsys » 23 Jan 2015 00:05

TSPaulA wrote:
> There are currently no plans to create a 64 bit UEFI bios for the WinBook
> tablets.

TSPaulA, thank you for giving us a straight answer, I appreciate your response.

To those interested, I support this petition, please sign it if you agree with me that ALL baytrail devices should be used at thier true potential. https://www.change.org/p/tablet-makers- ... il-tablets
Sent from my Winbook TW100 running WindowsXP 64-bit Edition!
Ulincsys

Postby Chucky » 23 Jan 2015 07:19

<< I also told them that I would appreciate if they could write me a 64-bit UEFI bios for my tablet. >>

The beauty of a 'To Do List'.
Chucky

Postby Rednroll » 23 Jan 2015 09:50

While I agree having a 64bit UEFI bios would be nice to have available if you wanted to pursue that path. I disagree with the "ALL baytrail devices should be used at thier true potential' petition/statement.

A 64bit OS, while it supports more RAM, it also requires more RAM to run. These WinBook tablets have either 1GB or 2GB of RAM, depending on the model you purchased which is a bare minimum and since they are a SOC device, RAM can't be upgraded. Low Memory is currently one of the biggest complaints on the Dell Venue Pro's previously mentioned which have a 64bit UEFI bios while running a 64bit OS.

So go ahead and support a petition. It seems like another misinformed effort, just like the original purchase decision with the complaints that followed.

Now in the future, if the RAM is increased to 4GB+, and since Windows 8.1 64bit is now available for portable devices, this seems like a better path to pursue and I'm sure the engineers who actually design these tablets are smart enough to have already figured that out. I'm sure the last thing MC wants, is to release a 64bit UEFI for the current gen of WinBook tablets and then absorb all the costs of all the returns, because they just allowed their over assuming customers to shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm sure we would then see the petitions of "ALL baytrail devices should have at least 4GB of RAM to unlock their true potential".
Rednroll

Postby Ulincsys » 23 Jan 2015 10:13

I'm not asking companies to FORCE a 64-bit bios onto the baytrail tablets, as I said in an earlier post "make it an option". As for the "only 2GB RAM" issue, I could care less, most of my other 64-bit computers only have 2GB RAM, and they run perfectly well. And it's not like I was expecting it to match up to a ROG laptop, I just need it to be able to execute 64-bit code, and run a 64-bit OS natively.

BTW: The petition also states "OFFER 64-bit UEFI BIOS" not FORCE.
Ulincsys

Postby simbatig » 23 Jan 2015 12:12

Wow! So that's where the open boxed shtuff comes from....
my MSi z97 i3 Win8.1 pro
simbatig

Postby Rednroll » 23 Jan 2015 17:06

simbatig wrote:
> Wow! So that's where the open boxed shtuff comes from....

LOL!!! Exactly what I said earlier. There's a lot of people who don't do their homework before purchasing a device that they want to use for a specific task, who then learn afterwards that device doesn't do everything they needed it to do. They then blame the device, the manufacturer, the store, etc. Unfortunately, it's common behavior for many to not take responsibility for their own actions, or lack there of. The good part, is the additional savings for the rest of us who have done our homework. :D

Steps to purchasing a WinBook tablet.
Step 1: Good price
Step 2: 64 Bit BayTrail Quad-Core processor
Step 3: Make assumptions about the rest and purchase.
Rednroll

Postby Ulincsys » 23 Jan 2015 18:11

It's not the end-consumers fault if companies fail to mention facts about a product. We should not have to rely on forum posts to learn about (lack of) features.
Ulincsys

Postby Rednroll » 23 Jan 2015 22:48

Ulincsys wrote:
> It's not the end-consumers fault if companies fail to mention facts about a
> product. We should not have to rely on forum posts to learn about (lack of)
> features.

Once again, I totally agree with you but it's not like a 32bit Bios with a 64bit processor is hidden information either and is very common. However, you seem to be over re-acting to that situation and that's the part I find entertaining. Let's all sign a petition, let's return our value priced WinBook and buy a Dell costing 4 times as much, that'll show 'em. Let's organize a union, get picket signs, and form a million man march on the front doors of Micro Center.

How about you return your WinBook tablet to MC, move on and tell us how that $800 Dell tablet with the 64bit UEFI bios that you found for $325 is working out for you?
Rednroll

Postby Ulincsys » 23 Jan 2015 23:51

Actually, I've decided not to get a Venue 11 pro. I have quite a bit experience with programming (specifically C, Java, and Assembler) and have decided to try out my skills with writing a custom 64-bit UEFI BIOS. I'm using a custom-made version of Virtualbox to test the BIOS, just so I don't end up bricking my device. When I have a working prototype, I'll try it out on a TW700. If I'm successfull, I should be able to supply a variety of superuser functionality to the Winbook (and possibly other) tablets. If anyone here reads this, and has experience coding Extensible Firmware technology, I would appreciate any help you wouldn't mind giving me.

Features I definitely plan to implement:
-Touch functionality (being able to press a software button during POST that leads to a fully touch-capable BIOS)
-CSM (legacy BIOS support).
-More customization (Enable/Disable virtualization, turn off wireless devices, ect...)

POSSIBLE features that I might implement:
-Support for themes
-Boot ISO/virtual disk files directly from BIOS
-Side-load multiple OSe's (like run Windows 8, and Android natively, at the same time)
Ulincsys

Postby Rednroll » 24 Jan 2015 09:04

That sounds like a pretty big project. I wish you luck. Try to keep in mind, that probably by the time you get that done, the next gen of WinBook tablets will be rolling out where a 64bit bios will probably be available along with the possibility of an increase in ram since the costs of the Baytrail SOC will drop, thus giving the ability to increase the amount of available ram at the current cost today and Windows x64 will now be available for these portable devices as well.

Thus, you could work on writing your own bios which I'm sure you are bound to run into a few road blocks along the way, or you could do nothing and get your dream come true scenario by just being patient.

Have you ever written any bios code previously? If not, you might want to do some research before jumping in to determine the limitations ahead of time. I haven't written any bios code, but from my understanding it's similar to a boot loader where there are typically size limitations in regards to code size and the amount of memory that can be used. So while you seem to be aiming for a lot of functionality in your bios, there may be some capacity limitations preventing these things. I'm sure you're not the 1st who has thought of having touch screen support in the bios on a touch screen tablet, but there's likely a good reason there currently isn't. However, I feel I'm repeating myself with these kind of statements and you'll ignore them anyways and find out the hard way once again.
Last edited by Rednroll on 24 Jan 2015 11:12, edited 3 times in total.
Rednroll

PreviousNext

Return to WinBook Tablets